The bank or building society that holds your account is responsible for all aspects of the running of that account. They are therefore answerable for all payments, including those made by Direct Debit.
All organisations using the Direct Debit system are sponsored into the Scheme by their bank or building society. They are checked for integrity, sound financial standing and administrative capability before being permitted to offer Direct Debit to their customers.
All Direct Debit payments are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee
What are the Benefits for Paying by Direct Debit?
It spreads the costs
Paying your regular bills by Direct Debit allows you to spread costs over a period that you agree with the organisation you are paying.
Direct Debit payments come with a guarantee so you're automatically protected by three important safeguards:
- An immediate money back guarantee from your bank in the event of an error
- Advance notice if the date or amount changes
- The right to cancel at any time.
Read The Direct Debit Guarantee in full.
It gives you peace of mind
Direct Debit is one of the safest and most reassuring ways of paying your bills:
- Payments are made automatically, so bills are never forgotten, lost in the post or delayed by postal problems and there's no risk of late payment charges
- Organisations using the Direct Debit scheme have to pass a careful vetting process, and are closely monitored by the banking industry
- The Direct Debit Guarantee protects you and your money. It's offered by all banks and building societies that take part in the scheme.
It saves you time
Modern life is hectic – but Direct Debit helps. It takes away much of the hassle associated with paying bills, and puts an end to queuing at the bank and filling out cheques.